Position Title: Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Exempt/Full time
Overview of Organization:
Save The River is the leading grassroots organization working to preserve and protect the St. Lawrence River through advocacy, education and research. Since 1978 it has campaigned to stop aquatic invasive species, fought winter navigation, promoted an environmentally friendly water levels plan and advocated for regional Great Lakes restoration programs. Save The River organizes water restoration and monitoring programs that track River health and identify pollution problems and educates area students about River issues through its In the Schools program. It is a member of the Waterkeeper Alliance as the Upper St. Lawrence Riverkeeper.
The Outreach Coordinator is primarily responsible for implementation of Save The Rivers Catch and Release and other conservation programs. In addition the Outreach Coordinator will assist the Program Manager with Save The Rivers In the Schools and Riverkeeper Volunteer Training education programs, and will work closely with the Executive Director on all aspects of communications with the members, supporters and the public. The Outreach Coordinator will report directly to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities and Duties:
· Coordinate and promote Save The Rivers Catch and Release program to the angling and wider community
· Create and deliver presentations on the Catch and Release program
· Cultivate partnerships with other not-for-profits, community organizations and local governments to promote Save The River’s programs
· Assist with delivering In the Schools and On the Water and Riverkeeper Volunteer Training programming
· Participate in direct outreach and community education including website organization, developing content for Save The Rivers website, social and print media, preparing and distributing publications, and public speaking
· Assist with Save The River special projects, fundraising activities and member events
· Other duties as assigned
- Familiarity with St. Lawrence River and area
- Excellent oral, writing and listening communications skills, effective public speaker in varied settings
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, multi-task work environment
- Ability to manage projects, partnerships and professional relationships
- Ability to plan, organize and think strategically and independently
- Demonstrated skill with Microsoft Office products, graphics and photo-editing software and social media applications
- Bachelors degree in relevant area
- At least two years work experience in relevant area
- Access to reliable vehicle, possess New York Driver License and Passport
- Ability to lift 40lbs
- Commitment to Save The River’s mission and values
- Prior work experience with conservation or environmental not-for-profit
- Prior work or recreational experience either boating, kayaking/canoeing, and/or fishing
- Office-based with potential for considerable outdoor, river related activities during late spring, summer and early fall
- Frequent weekend and evening duties
- Travel to locations along the St. Lawrence River in the United States and Canada.
- Opportunities for professional growth
Salary commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits package. Save The River is an equal opportunity employer.
Deadline for Applications:
February 19, 2014
Send resume, cover letter, contact information for at least two professional and one personal reference and two short, non-technical writing samples to Office Manager, Save The River, 409 Riverside Drive, Clayton, New York 13634, or email full application package to email@example.com.
For more information about Save The River visit http://www.savetheriver.org.